Dear Friends in the Faith,
I’ve decided to start writing an update here on our work here in KL, Malaysia as a few are wanting to know our happenings. I think this will be the best place as I try to post monthly. Please pray for me on that end.
Firstly I want to praise God for providing for us so far through this pandemic and lockdown. It has been impossible to move around these past 3-4 months because of the COVID cases rising so much here in KL and Selangor that our Bible workers are all resigned to working from home through their phones and laptops. Bible studies over the phone, meetings over the phone. Praise God that we have such means available to us during these times. This is where technology has been a great blessing. But praise God that we have been financially supported through all of this. So a big thank you from the bottom of our hearts to all those who have given through your big or small means. And especially thank you for those who have been praying for us! God has been good to us!
For those that don’t know, we currently have 13 Bible workers in our team here under the 2 churches that I pastor at SAHC and DAHC. And they are divided into 3 teams. 1 team focuses on SAHC which currently has 2 workers (update on this in a minute), another team focuses on the work around DAHC (5 workers) and another team is in Mont Kiara (6 workers) trying to start up some new work. Will give an update on all these teams.
But first, let me share a big praise. Our last class was taught yesterday for SALT 2021. We kept pushing our start date further back throughout the year because of COVID. We usually start in January but this year we started in May. And our first day of class started when the lockdown came in. So this batch of students that we have (9 in total) have never attended church service in DAHC or in SAHC. But God knew what we needed. We rented units here in the condo that I stay at and so we were still able to meet up to teach in person at one of the units each day. And praise God everything went smoothly without any problems at all. God is good. He knew what we needed.
Moreover, usually we run our classes at the Mission (PEM) HQ and so we have the students stay around there. But this year we decided to run it at SAHC because the Mission was not open yet to allow us to teach there. SAHC is just 200 metres from the place that I stay and so that’s why we had units rented here. The cost of the accommodation went up this year but praise God that we had generous donors cover the cost of that.
From this year’s batch of SALT students, though it is small with a total of 9 students, we have 5 joining us for Bible work. Another will return to his home to serve there at his local church as a Bible worker. And another was already in the ministry with her husband before she came to SALT to study. So our Bible worker team will grow from 13 workers to 18 workers starting middle of September 2021!
Maybe some of you might wonder why we continue to add workers in this time of difficulty? Well you see, Bible work is simply an extension of the classroom training that we have at SALT. Unless we are getting people of sound experience that have been serving before and just come to SALT to fine tune their knowledge, the people we normally get are fresh from high school or still very young and have just finished studying University. So Bible worker in this sense is a lot of hand holding and training. Majority of them have never taught a Bible study, shared in a group setting or even preached before coming to SALT. But most of all, we see Bible work as a time to further refine their characters. So thank you for supporting the work, but more so, thank you for supporting the young people as they continue to grow in faith. On the rare occasion we get older students who have stayed on as full time workers and who now lead out in SALT or as a Bible worker leads over the different teams that we have.
Our needs are growing as we have had to rent another unit here close to SAHC to house the new workers that will be coming in. So if you feel impressed to give, you can do so by going to www.adventistgiving.org.my, select Damansara/Serdang Adventist Hope Center and you can just fill out how much you want to donate to the Bible worker fund. If you are outside of Malaysia or if you wish to remain anonymous, please feel free to reach out to me. Thank you!
UPDATE on the teams:
- In SAHC we were doing a lot of health work before the lockdown at one of the local universities just down the road from us. We ran health checks and then a 10 day health challenge. The university cooperated very closely with us and gave us their full support. As a result, we had 2 students start bible study with us and another began to join us on Friday nights on a regular basis. We recently got in touch again with the university as we see things beginning to open up slowly and they were so happy to get us involved again. And one of the staff is going to send our video that we made to the Minister of Higher Education (government) to help promote our activities to other universities. This staff is actually part of the team under the Ministry of Higher Education. They will try and push our activities to others as they have seen what a benefit it has been to staff and students.
- During the 10 days of challenge we found quite a number affected by the pandemic. Some were depressed, others suffering financially. Our team has delivered groceries to the needy with the support of our local church and Mission. And we have continued to do so during this second serious lockdown that we are currently in.
- Bible studies continue to more forward with 12 Bible studies and a few wanting to get baptised. God is good! Even though Satan has tried to hinder the work, there are still souls that are committing their lives to Jesus!
- One of the bible workers has been walking around the condo here and have connected with quite a few people. As a result, we had one elderly lady join us online for the Sabbath already as she has been ministered to and cared for. The family at large has been so thankful for us reaching out to their mother.
- The team near DAHC has still been visiting the low cost housing near by and giving food, connected with people on a daily basis to counsel with them on their health and to pray with them. We currently have Friday night CG throughout all the groups and this group has managed to grow to around 15 people online with quite a number coming from the community that they have been ministering to.
- During this second lockdown, the ladies in their community have been walking around the neighbourhood and connecting with the neighbours. Praise God for the connections that we have made at this time. People are opening up!
- This team currently has 9 Bible studies and 4 that are wanting to get baptised! PRAISE GOD!
Mont Kiara (MK) Team
- This team focuses on quite a mixed bag of activities actually. There is Bible work, they are involved in musicverse, and also audio recording.
- Let’s start with Bible work. This team currently has 9 Bible studies as well with 2 that are looking forward to being baptised. It has been a bit more difficult to get contacts because we were only able to run a few health check sessions in the community before the lockdown came in. But thank God for the decisions that are still being made.
- Musicverse – if you have not heard of Musicverse, then please check out their facebook page here. It is an app that you can download on iOS or Android, where you can access good, wholesome, Godly music that will enrich your soul. The team has been planning hard for the upcoming 24-hour musical concert combined with 24-7 United Prayer as we pray for Afghanistan. This year we have also run 24-hour musical concert and prayer for Myanmar and also for India. God is leading more people to pray as a result.
- Audio Recording – Sabrina has been composing and recording more scripture songs. This has resulted in a great blessing to many people. Originally I thought to just record because many people were asking me how they were sung. And I don’t have a singing voice, so it started with just recording Sabrina. But it has just grown and grown from there. She continues to write and record and publish. If you haven’t heard her testimony yet you can view it here. She is deaf on one side but yet has been such a blessing with her voice!
As you can see, our Bible workers are involved in very many different activities. But we hope that as things open up more and the government allows more travel, that God will show to us clearly more of His will for us. Certainly the harvest is ready but the labourers are few. We need to be ready to more forward at His command.
Lastly, I’ve been involved in different things as well. Just to give you an update.
- Our churches are going to be running an online evangelism at the end of this month for 10 days. Please do keep us in your prayer. Our speaker is Rayne Clement who came through SALT, served as a Bible worker, then went to US to study theology and has come back to serve. Praise God for more full time workers! The date of the evangelism will run from Sept 30 to Oct 9, 2021. I will be the emcee for this, which I found, requires just as much work because I’m not used to being an emcee. We have started 40 days of prayer at our churches to pray for the out pouring of the Holy Spirit on these meetings and on KL and Selangor.
- I’ve been busy with updating and writing new CG studies. Not completed yet but working on it. Check them out on this site. Here are some of the new and updated ones.
- Been busy with recording every week for Friday night CG. You can find them on the YouTube channel.
- Also been recording the piano for Sabrina for her scripture songs.
- And lastly, the biggest is teaching at SALT! We just finished our last class yesterday so I should have more time to focus on other things.
After typing all this out, I realise that there is much to update! I hope that you all have been blessed with this short report. Thank you for reading this far.
May God bless each of you in the area of ministry that God has called and empowered you for. Let us all be found busy in the Lord’s vineyard when He returns.
God bless each of you!